Ordinary Council Meeting
18 May 2020
The meeting commences at 6.30pm. If members of the public are
not interested in any business recommended to be considered in
Closed Session or there is no such business, Council will ordinarily
commence consideration of all other business at 7pm.
Notice of Meeting
Notice is given of the Ordinary Council Meeting, to be held in the Council Chambers on Monday 18 May 2020 commencing at 7.00 PM. The business to be transacted at the meeting is included in this business paper.
The Council meeting is chaired by the Mayor, Councillor Pam Palmer. Councillors are entitled to one vote on a matter. If votes are equal, the Chairperson has a second or casting vote. When a majority of Councillors vote in favour of a Motion it becomes a decision of the Council. Minutes of Council and Committee meetings are published on Council’s website www.lanecove.nsw.gov.au by 5pm on the Thursday following the meeting.
The Meeting is conducted in accordance with Council's Code of Meeting Practice. The order of business is listed in the Agenda on the next page. That order will be followed unless Council resolves to modify the order at the meeting. This may occur for example where the members of the public in attendance are interested in specific items on the agenda. To coincide with the messaging from the NSW Government and in the interests of public health, the May meeting will be conducted online. Members of the public will not be permitted to attend the Council Chambers. Councillors will be attending and participating in the meeting via video conference. Members of the public who wish to address Council about items on the Meeting Agenda should send their typed, written address via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Written addresses are to be received by Council no later than midnight, on the day prior to the meeting – i.e. 17 May 2020. Please note that the time limit of three minutes per address still applies so please make sure your written submission meets this criteria (500 words maximum).
If you do not understand any part of the information given above; require assistance to participate in the meeting due to a disability; or wish to obtain information in relation to Council, please contact Council’s Executive Manager – Corporate Services on (02) 9911 3550.
Please note meetings held in the Council Chambers are recorded on tape for the purposes of verifying the accuracy of minutes and the tapes are not disclosed to any third party under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009, except as allowed under section 18(1) or section 19(1) of the PPIP Act, or where Council is compelled to do so by court order, warrant or subpoena or by any other legislation.
1. Mayoral Minute - Points of Clarification St Leonards South - Design Charrette Finalisation Decision
Record No: SU5943 - 27133/20
Division: Lane Cove Council
Author(s): Councillor Pam Palmer
Following Council’s Extraordinary Meeting three matters have been raised regarding Council’s resolution and so for clarity I wish to raise the matters and seek that Council pass further resolutions to ensure Council’s intentions are clear.
Re-exhibition of the Planning Proposal
On the night I acknowledge there were conflicting views on the issue of re-exhibition. Consultation of the Planning Proposal has already been extensive and Councillors were provided with submissions lodged in the lead up to the Extraordinary Meeting as an alternate to the Public Forum. It was my intention in Council’s resolution, to make it clear that it is the Minister for Planning and Public Spaces who determines if the Planning Proposal requires re-exhibition. If he determines it does, Council would facilitate. If, however, he determines that re-exhibition it is not required, the LEP would be made and Gazetted without further delay. I therefore have included a recommendation which confirms this.
Road Closure – Canberra Avenue South
The Masterplan for St Leonards South and LEP includes Canberra Avenue South which is proposed to be incorporated into Newlands Park. In the Draft LEP Map, Canberra Avenue South is proposed to be zoned R4 (currently it is R2). This is because roads must be zoned the same as the adjacent land. As has rightly been pointed out, although it is Council’ intention to close the road and expand the open space, Council has not yet undertaken the consultation in relation to the road closure. Therefore, the zoning won’t be changed in the Planning Proposal at this stage. I therefore have included a recommendation which outlines the steps, by indicating it is Council’s intention to create additional open space, subject to the appropriate consultation on the closure of Canberra Avenue South, and would then if approved, rezone the land as RE1 Public Open Space and classify it as Community Land, like Council’s other parks.
Reduction of Base FSR and Retention of Bonuses for Community Facilities
The 5% reduction in the base FSR proposed in Option 4 in the report, applied across the precinct but did not impact the floor space bonuses proposed under the LEP to provide community infrastructure (i.e. open space, E-W connections, key worker housing, landscaping, site consolidation, roads). Any reduction in the floor space bonus component would have jeporadised delivery of the community infrastructure and therefore the livability for future residents. I therefore have included a recommendation which confirms this.
1. Notes that extensive community consultation was held during the period 2012 - 2020 including:
a) exhibition of Master Plan (Dec 2014 – May 2015) with 545 submissions received;
b) exhibition of draft Planning Proposal (Oct 2017 – Jan 2018) with 340 submissions received;
c) a public hearing conducted by the IPC (2019); and
d) a review by NSW Planning, State Design Review Panel and NSW Government Architect (2019-2020)
2. Notes that despite the lack of a face-to-face public forum at the Extraordinary Council Meeting held on 11 May 2020, that alternate procedures were in place during the pandemic for the public to make last-minute representations to Councillors by email, phone or video and that 97 submissions were in fact received.
3. Considers the pandemic was therefore an irrelevant matter for Council’s consideration.
4. Considers that all relevant facts were taken into account in determining the particular merits of the proposal.
5. Acknowledges that it is the sole discretion of the Minister for Planning and Public Spaces to determine if the Planning Proposal requires re-exhibition and should he so determine Council is willing to undertake consultation, however, if he determines re-exhibition is not required, the LEP should be made and Gazetted without further delay.
6. Confirms its intention to create additional open space through the closure of Canberra Avenue South and incorporation into Newlands Park, subject to the appropriate consultation on the closure of Canberra Avenue South, and should the closure proceed, Council seek to rezone the land , RE1 Public Open Space and classify it as Community Land, under the Local Government Act.
7. Confirms the 5% reduction in the base FSR proposed in Option 4 in the report, applied across the precinct but did not apply to the floor space bonuses proposed under the LEP to provide community infrastructure (i.e. open space, E-W connections, key worker housing, landscaping, site consolidation, roads).
Councillor Pam Palmer
There are no supporting documents for this report.