4 June 2011, 11:00am
All minutes are subject to confirmation at a subsequent
meeting and may be amended by resolution at that meeting.
Present Councillor W. Gaffney (Mayor), Councillor P. Palmer (Deputy Mayor), Councillor R. Tudge, Councillor K. Mcilroy, Councillor S. Forrest, Councillor S. Bennison, Councillor D. Brooks-Horn and Executive Manager - Environmental Services.
Apologies Councillor A. Smith and Councillor I. Longbottom.
The owners of 11 Cullen Street, 9 Cullen Street, 18 Currawong Avenue and 20 Currawong Avenue and others were also present.
Item 1 Environmental Services Division Report No.19
Subject 11 Cullen Street, Lane Cove
Height poles and survey report were observed by the Executive Manager – Environmental Services. The Mayor opened the Inspection Committee and welcomed all present at the frontage to 11 Cullen Street, the subject of a first floor alteration.
Executive Manager – Environmental Services provided an overview of the development proposal and the concerns expressed by adjoining neighbours.
After questions from Councillors and statements by some objectors, the Committee were invited into the yard of 9 Cullen Street to observe the potential solar impact, after which only Councillors were invited into the house to view the perceived impact on the ground floor lightwell and the first floor balcony.
Councillors also inspected the rear yards of 18 and 20 Currawong Avenue to observe the potential additional bulk of the proposed development.
A late submission (Sunday 9.57pm) was received by Council. The submission has been reviewed and does not raise any new issue not already assessed.
Issues raised at the Inspection Committee.
· Loss of solar access and overshadowing to 9 Cullen Street;
· Visual bulk and impact on streetscape;
· Privacy, both visual and acoustic;
· Increased bulk to the rear of 20 Currawong Avenue; and
· Loss of privacy to 20 Currawong Avenue.
· The proposal fully complies with all prescriptive and performance measures of the DCP;
· The proposed development is modest in impact and is lower than the allowable wall height by 1.5m maximum, ridge height by 2.1m and as a measure of goodwill the applicants have agreed to the first floor setback (southern boundary) being 1500mm rather than the permitted;
· The proposed development is permissible and reasonable; and
· Council staff have recommended approval.
The Mayor thanked all who presented to the Committee and advised that the matter will be determined at the Ordinary Meeting of the 6 June 2011.