Extraordinary Meeting of Council
20 May 2016
The meeting commences at 8.30am.
Notice of Meeting
Notice is given of the Extraordinary Meeting of Council, to be held in the Council Chambers, 48 Longueville Rd, Lane Cove on Friday 20 May 2016 commencing at 8:30am. The business to be transacted at the meeting is included in this business paper.
The Council meeting is chaired by the Mayor, Councillor Deborah Hutchens. Councillors are entitled to one vote on a matter. If votes are equal, the Chairperson has a second or casting vote. When a majority of Councillors vote in favour of a Motion it becomes a decision of the Council. Minutes of Council and Committee meetings are published on Council’s website www.lanecove.nsw.gov.au by 5pm on the Thursday following the meeting.
The Meeting is conducted in accordance with Council's Code of Meeting Practice. The order of business is listed in the Agenda on the next page. That order will be followed unless Council resolves to modify the order at the meeting. This may occur for example where the members of the public in attendance are interested in specific items on the agenda.
Members of the public may address the Council Meeting on any issue for a maximum of three (3) minutes during the public forum which is held at the beginning of the meeting. All persons addressing the Meeting must speak to the Chair. Speakers and Councillors will not enter into general debate or ask questions.
If you do not understand any part of the information given above; require assistance to participate in the meeting due to a disability; or wish to obtain information in relation to Council, please contact Council’s Manager Governance on 99113525.
Please note meetings held in the Council Chambers are recorded on tape for the purposes of verifying the accuracy of minutes and the tapes are not disclosed to any third party under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009, except as allowed under section 18(1) or section 19(1) of the PPIP Act, or where Council is compelled to do so by court order, warrant or subpoena or by any other legislation.
OPENING OF MEETING WITH PRAYER
ACKNOWLEDGMENT TO COUNTRY
NOTICE OF WEBCASTING OF MEETING
Members of the public may address the Extraordinary Meeting of Council on any issue for three (3) minutes.
Orders Of The Day
Officer Reports for Determination
1. Fit for the Future - Consideration of Council's Legal Options
Record No: SU5558 - 29341/16
Division: Corporate Services Division
Author(s): Craig Dalli
At the Ordinary Council Meeting of 16 May 2016 Council considered a report titled “Fit for the Future - Legal Action Initiated by NSW Councils” and resolved to:-
“1. Receive and note the information;
2. Write to the Hon. Fred Nile and express gratitude for presenting a Private Members Bill to the Legislative Council on Thursday, 12 May 2016;
3. Schedule a workshop for this Thursday, 19 May 2016 to allow a briefing from Council’s legal representative in relation to the NCAT hearing scheduled for Wednesday, 18 May 2016 and the consideration of other legal options resulting from the NCAT hearings and other councils pending legal actions;
4. Give notice of an Extraordinary Meeting scheduled to be held Friday, 20 May 2016 to determine what course of action Council will take in view of the proposed mergers announced by the Minister for Local Government on Thursday, 12 May 2016; and
5. Write to all the Federal candidates of the major parties including Senator Nick Xenophon, running in the State of NSW in the upcoming Federal election to seek their support for constitutional recognition of Local Government.”
Council will receive information on the outcomes of the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) proceedings scheduled for 18 May 2016 in relation to the Government Information Public Access (GIPA) Application lodged by Councillor Bennison with the Department of Premier and Cabinet for access to the KPMG “Outline of Financial Modelling Assumptions for Local Government Merger Proposals” Technical Paper. Additionally, Council will be provided updated legal advice on the pending legal actions being pursued by other councils in response to merger proposals.
That Council consider and determine its course of action in response to the merger proposal.
Executive Manager - Corporate Services
Corporate Services Division
There are no supporting documents for this report.