Independent Hearing and Assessment Panel Meeting
5 March 2013, 5:00pm
PRESENT: The Hon David Lloyd (Chair), Mr Kevin Hoffman (Planning Expert), Mr David Johnson (Environmental Expert), Ms Susan Robinson (Community Representative)
ALSO PRESENT: Mr Michael Mason, Executive Manager, Environmental Services, Mr Rajiv Shankar, Manager Development Assessment, Ms May Li, Senior Town Planner and Mr Stan Raymont, Town Planner.
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST: Nil
WEBCASTING OF COUNCIL MEETING
The Chairperson advised those present that the Meeting was being webcast.
That pursuant to Section 80(1)(a) of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979, as amended, the IHAP Panel refuses development consent to Development Application DA 12/156 for the alteration and addition to the existing building for the extension of an existing child care centre and increase in the number of children from 23 to 40 on Lot 3, DP 391077 and known as 6 Gay Street, Lane Cove North subject to the following reasons:-
Reasons for Refusal
1. The existing child care centre is at present resulting in a significant and unacceptable level of traffic and parking in Gay Street, Roslyn Street and Kariola Street at peak drop-off and pick-up times, which include:
· The parking of vehicles on both sides of the street, thus preventing the flow of two-way traffic;
· The double parking of vehicles;
· The parking of vehicles across the driveways of private dwellings;
· The parking of vehicles too close to the corner of Gay, Kariola and Roslyn Street;
· Prolonged periods of running engines;
· A reduction in the availability of kerbside parking for nearby residents.
2. The proposal to lift the present limit of 23 children to 40 children will inevitably result in additional traffic and exacerbate the existing unacceptable level of traffic and parking in an otherwise residential area.
3. The number of on-site parking spaces, namely 5, is inadequate having regard to the minimum car parking required under the Lane Cove DCP of 11 spaces, which will in turn lead to a further loss of kerbside parking for nearby residents.
That the amended report (Erratum) for 145-153 Longueville Road, Lane Cove was received and noted.
That pursuant to the provisions of Section 96 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979, as amended, the development consent D1/12 granted on 18 June 2012 for the use to operate a weekly food and growers’ market (Sundays) at Lane Cove Public School and known as 145-153 Longueville Road, Lane Cove is modified in the following manner:-
A. By amending conditions 2, 3, 4, 12, 13 and 14 to read:-
2. A parking attendant is to ensure the safe and efficient movement of vehicles and that vehicles of stallholders have vacated the Austin Street car park and remainder of the school grounds other than the Longueville Road carpark by 8.30am.
3 The approval being for a time limited period of 3 years, expiring on 26 December 2015, at which time the approval lapses and further application must be submitted for any extension of time of the use.
4. The number of stalls may be increased to a maximum of 50 stalls.
12. a: The hours of operation of the market being from 8.30am – 1.00pm on a Sunday.
b: The setup time of the Austin Street car park being from 7.00am to 8.30am and the pack up time being between 1.00pm to 3.30pm.
c: With the permission of the school, the main gate of Longueville Road being used for a maximum of 4 vehicles/trailers and only between the hours of 7.00am to 8.30am of a Sunday.
d: With the permission of the School, the Longueville Road car park only being available from 7.00am to 3.00pm on a Sunday.
13. Vehicles used in the set up and pack away of stalls to primarily access the site via Austin Street. Set up and pack away must occur on site and is strictly prohibited on Austin Street or footpath.
14. Vehicles used in the set up and pack away of stalls are permitted to access the site via Longueville Road only if the Austin Street car park is fully occupied. Set up and pack away must occur on site and is strictly prohibited on Longueville Road or footpath.
B. The following additional condition also applies:-
24. During set-up, operation and pack away of stalls, the operator shall have a representative on site at all times and that person have a contactable mobile phone number to be given in writing to the council and residents in Nos 182-200 and No 155 Longueville Road.
The meeting closed at 7.50pm.
********* END OF MINUTES *********